Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Genesis 26-28


January 8

Genesis 26-28

If nothing else, Esau knew his brother’s character. After realizing his brother had deceived him and his father;"Esau said, “Isn’t he rightly named Jacob? He has deceived me these two times: He took my birthright, and now he’s taken my blessing!” (Genesis 27:36, NIV)  Jacob means heel holder or to overthrow by tripping up. He tripped up his brother twice and now was on his brother’s hit list.
Rebekah, who was the co-conspirator, got Isaac to send Jacob to her family to find a wife and to get him out of the danger zone known as Esau. Jacob stopped for the night and had a close encounter with God while he was sleeping. God promised to fulfill His promise to Abraham and Isaac through Jacob. God takes the younger brother, a deceiver who was on the run, and promises to bless him and use him.
After hearing God’s promises, Jacob decided that he would serve a God that would bless him. "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s house, then the Lord will be my God" (Genesis 28:20-21, NIV) Jacob was still looking out for himself. He is still of questionable character, but he promises to give God ten percent (tithe) of everything God gives him.
Jacob realized that God was his provider. Though he was a scoundrel, he believed God, and was willing to give back to God a portion of what God gave him. Do we credit God with providing us with food and clothes and safety? Do we trust Him to continue to provide enough that we are willing to give Him a tenth? God is working on Jacob’s character. Are you allowing Him to work on you?

No comments: