Thursday, April 18, 2013

1 Kings 9-11


April 14

1 Kings 9-11

If is a big little word in the English language and it is key to many of God’s promises. God told Solomon; "if you walk before me in integrity of heart and uprightness, as David your father did, and do all I command and observe my decrees and laws, I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever.” (1 Kings 9:4-5a, NIV)  But God also warned Solomon; “But if you or your sons turn away from me and do not observe the commands and decrees I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel from the land I have given them and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. Israel will then become a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples." (1 Kings 9:6-7, NIV)

Solomon and his sons have a choice to make. They can follow God or they can follow false gods. They can receive blessings and maintain the throne of Israel or they can be cut off from the land God gave them a choice, just as He gives every person a choice. God gives us freewill because unless we can choose we cannot really love. Just as Solomon had to choose, we each have to choose; will we follow God or will we follow the false gods of our culture.

This is not a onetime choice, it is a daily decision. We choose to follow God and we continue to make that choice as we live in this world. Paul writing to the Colossians said;  "But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. " (Colossians 1:22-23a, NIV)

What side of the “if” are you on?

No comments: