Thursday, June 13, 2013

Psalm 21-26

June 13

Psalm 21-26

The six Psalms we read today have a lot of good content. I want to look at Psalm 22 though the temptation is to go to the popular Psalm 23. Psalm 22 gives us a glimpse of the crucifixion of Jesus many years before He was born. David wrote this Psalm, not as prophecy, but as a response to events in his own life. But when Jesus was hanging on the cross He quoted the words of David; “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” The words David penned in his anguish, through the power of the Holy Spirit were also words of prophecy as Jesus hung on the cross.

Both David and Jesus experience the anguish of a feeling of separation from God. David perceived separation from God. He cried out and God did not answer him. He sought God and God seemed to be distant. Jesus experienced separation from the Father. As our sin was laid upon Jesus, the Father turned and could not look upon the sin. Jesus experienced hell, total separation from the Father, for us.

The words of Psalm 22 remind us that just because we are followers of Jesus does not mean everything is going to go according to our plans. Evil still dwells in this world and is the enemy  of those who live in obedience to God. Jesus was stripped, whipped, spit on, hung on a cross, and as David penned these words experienced by Jesus; "Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing." (Psalm 22:16-18, NIV) How do we expect to world to treat us as His followers?

This would be discouraging if we did not know that no matter how the world may treat us, though we may not always feel like it God is with us. He is our strength, He is our Savior, He is our Redeemer. Jesus died on that cross, was separated from the Father, but on the third day He rose again and ascended to the right hand of the Father where He intercedes for us until the day He returns. "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:9-11, NIV) 





No comments: