Saturday, June 1, 2013

Job 9-12

June 1

Job 9-12

Job understands the majesty of God. He knows that he cannot stand and refute what God has proclaimed. Job feels like he is being unjustly punished and that he has done nothing to deserve what he is receiving. He cries out to God; "Does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands, while you smile on the schemes of the wicked?" (Job 10:3, NIV) In verse 12, he goes on to speak of those who worship false gods and how they go on secure while Job, who tried to follow God with his whole heart has lost everything in a matter of hours.

One of the greatest questions of humanity is why do bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people? Why do some of the most godless people seem to prosper in wealth, health, and relationships, while some who serve God with all their heart seem to fight an uphill battle their whole lives? It does not seem fair and Job is not afraid to cry out to God with his inquiry.

Notice verses 29-34 of chapter 9. "Since I am already found guilty, why should I struggle in vain? Even if I washed myself with soap and my hands with washing soda, you would plunge me into a slime pit so that even my clothes would detest me. “He is not a man like me that I might answer him, that we might confront each other in court. If only there were someone to arbitrate between us, to lay his hand upon us both, someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more." (Job 9:29-34, NIV)

Job knows he is guilty before God and has no hope. He realizes he needs someone to arbitrate between him and God. He needed someone who could speak to God and speak to Job. He needed someone who could understand him as a man and God as God. He needed someone to remove the judgment that was upon him in the presence of God. His arbitrator arrived many years later. Jesus Christ came and interceded for us. He took on our judgment and removed it from us. He came as the only one, the perfect human, perfectly God and removed our sin. He now stands at the right hand of the Father as our arbitrator.

There are times when it seems like those who reject God make out better than those who follow Him. But there will come a day when we stand before the judgment seat of Christ and we will give account for every word and action of our lives. We will all be found guilty and face eternal punishment unless we have received Jesus, our arbitrator as our Lord and Savior and He stands before the Father in our defense.


No comments: